freetds - Re: [freetds] PHP and DSN-less Connection Strings

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] PHP and DSN-less Connection Strings
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:57:34 +0100

On Mar 18, 2005, at 10:21, Jon Doblados wrote:

Ah yes, I figured that much. I tried copying
/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so (from freetds FAQ) to
/usr/lib/php/extensions only to find out that I don't have
libtdsodbc.so, as I only see libtds.so.

Don't do that; you are confusing things.

In the php extensions folder you'll need PHP's odbc extension which on Linux should be called odbc.so. FreeTDS has nothing to do with it, it's built from the PHP source tree as part of the PHP compilation process or separately afterwards.

You'll most likely find that your Linux distribution offers a pre-compiled odbc extension for PHP, it's just not installed by default. It could be called php-odbc or something similar.

Then, you'll still have to solve the problem of not having that libtdsodbc file, too. That one is built as part of FreeTDS but only if the configure script can find a suitable ODBC driver manager and its header files.
You seem to fall into the usual scenario of having unixODBC installed but you miss its header files so the FreeTDS configure script didn't pick it up. So, you'll have to install those unixODBC headers then reconfigure and recompile FreeTDS. This too ought to be available in your Linux distribution by simply installing an optional package. In Red Hat terminology, it's called unixODBC-devel. I don't know much about SuSE.

By the way, when you are at the step of reinstalling FreeTDS, consider trying the 0.63 release candidate instead of 0.62.4.

odbc_connect. I also noticed unixODBC on my server. Should freetds
work in tandem with unixODBC or that's an entirely different game?

unixODBC provides the driver manager, FreeTDS provides the driver and PHP provides its ODBC extension.

The chain will basically look like this:
PHP -> unixODBC -> FreeTDS

One of the advantages of using the mssql/sybase/sybase_ct extensions with PHP is that it lets php access FreeTDS directly, leaving out the middle-man ODBC driver manager.

--
fds