freetds - RE: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 25, Issue 1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 25, Issue 1
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:13:51 -0500

-L/usr/local/unixODBC/lib
> -o libreplacements.la iconv.lo asprintf.lo vasprintf.lo
> readpassphrase.lo -lc
> false cru .libs/libreplacements.a .libs/iconv.o .libs/asprintf.o
> .libs/vasprintf.o .libs/readpassphrase.o

Those last two lines can be read as:

/bin/bash \
../../libtool \
--mode=link \
gcc \
-g \
-O2 \
-L/usr/local/unixODBC/lib \
-o \
libreplacements.la \
iconv.lo \
asprintf.lo \
vasprintf.lo \
readpassphrase.lo \
-lc

false \
cru \
.libs/libreplacements.a \
.libs/iconv.o \
.libs/asprintf.o \
.libs/vasprintf.o \
.libs/readpassphrase.o

That second command, 'false', should (I'm pretty sure) be 'ar'. Somehow
libtool (or configure) is generating a bad script. I don't know why.
It's probably a local problem, because other Solaris 9 folks have built
0.62.4 successfully. You may be able to figure out what's going on by
consulting config.log etc.

One workaround you might try would be to edit src/replacements/Makefile,
putting 'ar' back where it belongs. That might be enough.

HTH.

--jkl

P.S. It's a good idea for digest subscribers to change the subject line
to something meaningful. If we do figure something out, anyone
searching the archives would be hard pressed to discover it.

> Thanks.
>
> Jun
>

> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:16:27 -0500
> From: jun_chen AT bankone.com
> Subject: [freetds] freetds installation failed on Solaris 9
> To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
<OF002C62C4.03A7D8EB-ON86256F9A.006EA179-85256F9A.006F5E67 AT bankone.com>

> Hi All,
>
> The installation of freetds is failed on Solaris 9 and I got the
> following error when I tried to make:
>
> make[2]: *** [libreplacements.la] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/data1/freetds-0.62.4/src/replacements'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data1/freetds-0.62.4/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I tried to use freetds 0.62.4 (stable version) and also
0.64.dev.20050131
> from cvs with unix ODBC 2.2.10 and configured as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
> --with-unixodbc=/usr/local/unixODBC
>
> I used the same procedures on Redhat Linux Enterprise Server 2.1 and
they
> work fine.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jun

confidential
> and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying,
> distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including
any
> reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this
> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy
> the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy
format.
> Thank you.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:22:15 -0600
> From: Alex S Moore <asmoore AT edge.net>
> Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds installation failed on Solaris 9
> To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:16:27 -0500
> jun_chen AT bankone.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
>
> No idea with what you provided. The lines above the 'Error 1' message
> are needed to provide a clue.
>
> Or get the package from www.blastwave.org
>
> Alex
>
> Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:24:15 -0800
> From: "Ian Harding" <iharding AT tpchd.org>
> Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds installation failed on Solaris 9
> To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> I had to comment out all the libreplacements lines to get it to build
on
> NetBSD. Don't know why.
>
> Ian Harding
> Programmer/Analyst II
> Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
> iharding AT tpchd.org
> Phone: (253) 798-3549
> Pager: (253) 754-0002

> Hi All,
>
> The installation of freetds is failed on Solaris 9 and I got the
> following error when I tried to make:
>
> make[2]: *** [libreplacements.la] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/data1/freetds-0.62.4/src/replacements'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data1/freetds-0.62.4/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I tried to use freetds 0.62.4 (stable version) and also
> 0.64.dev.20050131
> from cvs with unix ODBC 2.2.10 and configured as follows:

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.