freetds - [freetds] sybperl and freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Technoid <technoid AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [freetds] sybperl and freetds
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:22:45 -0700

I just inherited another freetds project from my employer. Here is
what I *think* is going on (after looking at it for a few days):

Applications running on FreeBSD and IRIX access an OpenClient version
of DBD::Sybase through two intermediate layers of wrappers. The first
layer is a (large) set of DB_* wrappers that do all sorts of specific
tasks (connection, query, etc., etc.). The DB_* wrappers in turn call
Sybase::DBlib functions, which make calls to DBD::Sybase.

I am charged with helping convert from using OpenClient to using FreeTDS.

I have written test cases that demonstrate that everything works fine
if I make calls from my test script to freshly built FreeTDS versions
of DBD::Sybase.

When I make a call through our homegrown wrappers to the Sybase::DBlib
constructor (new function), it never returns.

I see that FreeTDS and sybperl are both creations of Michael P., and
suspect that I need to rebuild sybperl to correctly call DBD::Sybase.

I've googled a bit to see if there are any specific instructions for
building sybperl for use with FreeTDS, but thought I would also check
to make sure I'm not making any false assumptions about using sybperl
with FreeTDS. (I'm wondering if--instead of trying to make sybperl
work with FreeTDS--I should just tweak our home-grown wrappers to skip
sybperl and interact with DBD::Sybase directly ...)

TIA

-T