freetds - Re: [freetds] Request for advice before I begin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: Technoid <technoid AT gmail.com>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Request for advice before I begin
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:19:04 -0500

Technoid <technoid AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Now they want to quit using linux compatibility mode and run natively
> on FreeBSD. When they use FreeTDS, they encounter two problems:
>
> 1. The lack of support for the Sybase 'DBMORECMDS' function

DBMORECMDS exists in 0.63, and updated yesterday by Bill Thompson.

> 2. The lack of support for the Sybase 'money' data types. (The 'money'
> issue appears to be isolated to just 'select'; 'update' and 'insert'
> seem to be fine. Seems
> that FreeTDS upon receiving the data from Sybase identified as 'money'
> lacks the support of handing that data type. )

FreeTDS has handled money datatypes correctly for a long time. Most of
the money manipulation functions, things like dbmnydivide(), are not
implemented. No one has complained. ;-)

> 2. If there *are* known deficiencies in FreeTDS, are they something
> that I could help with? Does anyone have any recommendations of where
> to start?

The money manipulation functions, if you need them, aren't very
complicated to write, and have the nice feature that they don't interact
with the rest of db-lib, except for structure definitions and some
symbols.

If there are missing functions in db-lib that you need, I'd be interested
in hearing about them. I'm developing the opinion that db-lib is about
done, for all real intents and purposes.

I recommend you pull the new 0.63RC2 and give it a whirl.

Regards,