freetds - [freetds] Request for advice before I begin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Technoid <technoid AT gmail.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Request for advice before I begin
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0700

A few months back I was assigned to work on a FreeTDS "bug" by another
group at the company I work for. A number of existing applications
have been written to use Sybase OpenClient on FreeBSD and Irix to
communicate with a Sybase transaction server elsewhere on the
network. In order to get OpenClient to work on FreeBSD, they have to
run Perl in linux compatibility mode.

Now they want to quit using linux compatibility mode and run natively
on FreeBSD. When they use FreeTDS, they encounter two problems:

1. The lack of support for the Sybase 'DBMORECMDS' function
2. The lack of support for the Sybase 'money' data types. (The 'money'
issue appears to be isolated to just 'select'; 'update' and 'insert'
seem to be fine. Seems
that FreeTDS upon receiving the data from Sybase identified as 'money'
lacks the support of handing that data type. )

(Note: The above two items are in *their* own words.)

They have implemented workarounds, which seem to be working (for the
moment), but probably aren't a good long-term solution.

Here are my questions:

1. Are the above "known" problems? ... or is there a problem with our
setup? (Could it be related to big/little-endedness?)

2. If there *are* known deficiencies in FreeTDS, are they something
that I could help with? Does anyone have any recommendations of where
to start?

Thanks in advance!!

--WW