freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem when the SQLExecute failed

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem when the SQLExecute failed
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:02:37 -0500

"ou liu" <ou AT qbt.com> wrote:
> What I did is:
> 1. Start the tsql, connect to server, no problem.
> 2. Do a query, no problem. I got the result set back.
> 3. Disconnect the server, do another query
> 4. The tsql freeze for a while (about 8 minutes) and then I got
> "Read from Server failed"

I think what may be happening here is that in step #3, the query is small
enough that it's buffered in the OS network layer. TCP isn't required to
flush the packet, so as far as send(2) is concerned, the write succeeds,
even to a disconnected cable.

Try a bigger query, please, or freebcp a file to the server.

If that doens't work, you could always kill the server before #3. That
would surely result in a write error.

HTH.