freetds - RE: [freetds] Freebcp 2GB file limit

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thomas A. Lowery" <tlowery AT rparts.us>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Freebcp 2GB file limit
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:34:25 -0400

Hello Bill,
Thanks for a quick response!

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:35:11 +0100
From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>

> That's not a freebcp message , as far as I know.
> There is a file size limit on your operating system, probably.
> I have run into the same problem with Sybase "bcp" in Solaris.=20

The machine I used for testing normally handles files larger than
2GB (commonly 30GB - 500GB files). However the software wasn't built on
this machine. It was built on a common share that also handles large files.

uname -a
Linux machine 2.4.20-18.7smp #1 SMP Thu May 29 07:49:23 EDT 2003 i686 unknown

So I wondered if we missed something in the configuration.

> Are you trying to move data from one database table into another (in
> another server/database ?)
> If so, I have a program that will do it superfast, without the need for
> intermediate files.

Nope, at least not this part. I need to extract and reformat the table
into a flat file for processing. I'm attempting to replace some
convoluted use of DTS that relies on some magic samba shares that make
moving code from development to production (without altering) impossible.

I would be interest in the program you're referring to because parts
of our applications use DTS to move tables.

Tom