freetds - Re: [freetds] Problems with large image transfers.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: David Lambert <dlambert AT lambsys.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problems with large image transfers.
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:33:50 -0500

Lowden, James K wrote:

Oh, boy. You found a doozie.
It's interesting that I assumed you meant bcp *in*. I've uploaded image
data, but never downloaded it. Neither, I bet, has anyone else, because
it looks to me like the code's broken.

Originally, I WAS trying to UPLOAD data, but never got it to work with freebcp. I eventually managed to get the data uploaded using a crude script with bsqldb, but then the data file was in '0xnnnn' nibbles which meant > 100% overhead. Anyway, I then tried to used freebcp to DOWNLOAD the images, hoping that I could get some clue as how to UPLOAD images in byte form. Then came the bug =-O . I am conversant with MySQL but very much a newbie to freeTDS/MSSQL/SYBASE, so please excuse the random thrashing of your code ;-)

This will take some work, and it may be a few weeks before I can get to
it, thanks to the phone company. If you want to trace through more
carefully, find out what dbconvert() is called with, returns, and what
fwrite is being called with, I might be able to suggest a patch.

No hurry. Now that I know that the download is broken, it does not matter so much. I just need to figure out how to efficiently upload images. Could you point me to some documentation e.g. a HOWTO aimed at my level of (in)expertise?

Regards,

Dave.