freetds - [freetds] parallel BCP (was: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 18, Issue 40)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] parallel BCP (was: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 18, Issue 40)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:05:48 -0400

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 "Satya Madhav" <smadhav.vangara AT inucom.com> wrote:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/optimsq
> l/odp_tun_1a_5gyt.asp
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/copromp
> t/cp_bcp_61et.asp
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adminsq
> l/ad_impt_bcp_1968.asp

OK, now I know what you're referring to: multiple clients loading a single
table simultaneously.

The short answer is Yes. FreeTDS does exactly what Microsoft's bcp.exe
does (as far as the server's concerned). As Bill says, freebcp can pass
hints and lets you set the batch size.

> This would be same as BULK INSERT T-SQL statement.

Not at all. Same *effect*, perhaps, but the BULK INSERT statement afaik
doesn't even use TDS. It's a server-side load that relies exclusively on
the file system.

> My question is doe freebcp supports this feature ??? An dwhat would be
> syntax for it??

I don't know what "syntax" you mean, unless you're asking what options to
use with freebcp?

There's one odd thing about Microsoft's advice that I wonder if anyone has
experience with. They say:

"
To bulk copy data into an instance of SQL Server in parallel:

* Set the database to Bulk-Logged Recovery if you usually use the Full
Recovery model.

* Specify the TABLOCK hint.
"

Eh? If one process gets a table lock, how will a second process be able
to bcp into in "parallel"? Or do I misunderstand something?

Hope this help, Satya. In the future, please set the Subject to something
meaningful when replying to a digest message. For the sake of the
archives, you know.

Regards,