freetds - Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: brian AT bruns.com
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:47:02 -0700 (PDT)

My point is, I guess, that they seem to be targeting this to the niche
that Jet (Access) currently fulfills. Single machine or small
workgroup database. Look to see Access frontend to this instead of
Jet with the next major rev (my supposition).

Glad to see tcpip/tds can be reenabled on this beast. But, my point
is that you'll start seeing MSDE/SSE files distributed in the same
manner that Jet files are today within the next couple of years. Same
underlying technology, maybe, but different market space. FreeTDS
won't do the job when someone sends you one of these in the ol' email.

Thinking about it, I'm not quite sure that I understood the original
post. Did you mean that other machines can access the server, but
only from CLI? or it is accessible on the same machine only through
CLI? If it's going across networks than it must be named pipes? Or
perhaps it is DCOM? Would be interesting to get a network trace in
that case.

Cheers,

Brian

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:41:41 -0400, "James K. Lowden" wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, brian AT bruns.com wrote:
> > I don't consider this a huge issue, as this is a replacement for
MSDE