freetds - Re: [freetds] Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:08:27 +0200

On Jun 25, 2004, at 0:12, Lowden, James K wrote:

I know there's one report in the recent archives of success
building 0.62.3 on OS X, so there may be subtleties involved.
I'm happy to make any needed changes to the distribution,
Strike that: I meant to say "there's one report in the recent archives of success building 0.62.4 and/or current CVS on OS X, no patches required".

It may have been me, as I do remember trying the first libtool-updated versions and having success with all except the odbc driver.

The current nightly does not build easily any more, although it only fails near the end:

gcc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o .libs/libtds.3.0.dylib -all_load ./.libs/libtds_objects.a ../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a /usr/lib/libgcc.a /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -install_name /usr/local/lib/libtds.3.dylib -compatibility_version 4 -current_version 4.0
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___muldi3
/usr/lib/libgcc.a(_muldi3.o) private external definition of ___muldi3 in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3/libgcc.a(_muldi3.o) private external definition of ___muldi3 in section (__TEXT,__text)
[...]

and this repeated for hundreds of definitions.

I believe it's something to do with Freddy's recent change of

- include libgcc.a in shared libraries if someone try to compile with
gcc but do not use GNU ld. This should fix Solaris problem. It works
well using HP/UX 11.00.

Here's one request to undo this change for Mac OS X (darwin). :)

0.62.4 fails at building libtdsodbc as I remembered it.

However a simple
./configure --disable-odbc && make && sudo make install

and all is well, FreeTDS is built and installed with nary a warning and no errors.

Even FreeTDS's "infectious dependency" on Mac OS X seems to be gone. If you built FreeTDS with iconv support, then everything which referenced FreeTDS had to be manually linked with -liconv as well in the 0.62.3 and earlier days, the ones with the ancient libtool. This no longer seems to be necessary, which I'm sure will be much appreciated by many.

--
fds