freetds - Re: [freetds] Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl AT cygnusinteractive.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:13:45 -0500

Lowden, James K wrote:
From: Craig Jurney

I don't know if this is a libtool issue or what, but I cannot get either the stable (0.62.4) or latest nightly to build on my Mac (panther) --

configure appears to run fine
make aborts almost immediately with
"ranlib: you must specify a MODE"

Short term advice would be to use 0.62.3 and follow the patching instructions in the UG. That was built with libtool 1.4a; newer distributions use 1.5.6.
I know there's one report in the recent archives of success building 0.62.3 on OS X, so there may be subtleties involved. I'm happy to make any needed changes to the distribution, once we know what they are.

I've build 0.62.3 on two Mac OS X 10.3.x systems so far. I dug through the archives, and also made my own notes, which may not be perfect, but helped me a bit:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/code/freetdsnotes.html

Pete