freetds - [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mike Galban <MGalban AT Merion.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:18:56 -0400

John,
My overall goal was to develop custom apps for OS X using RealBasic to hit
our MS SQL database. RB has an ODBC plugin, but doesn't include drivers.
Currently, all of the in-house apps that my company develops are .net/VB for
Windows. If any of our Mac users needs to use an app, they need to use
Citrix or get a PC. I personally would like a native OS X solution, hence
the need for an ODBC driver.

Since I've been having trouble building the FreeTDS ODBC driver in OS X, I
created a work-around using AppleScript and bsqldb within RealBasic. The
AppleScript acts as a function in RB and calls a bsqldb shell command and
then passes the result back to RB. If anyone is interested in more details,
I can post a sample AppleScript.
-mg