freetds - Re: [freetds] /usr/include/freetds/ and DBD-Sybase problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] /usr/include/freetds/ and DBD-Sybase problem
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:50:33 +0200

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 22:02, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> I've installed Dag's latest freetds rpms (freetds-0.62.3-1.1.el3.rpm
> and freetds-devel-0.62.3-1.1.el3.rpm, dated 2004 May 17) on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3 with no problems, works as expected, etc.
>
> I then proceeded to build the latest DBD-Sybase 1.02, which failed
> messily with missing include problems (here's a short excerpt):
>
> In file included from Sybase.xs:14:
> Sybase.h:16:22: ctpublic.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from Sybase.h:46,
> from Sybase.xs:14:
> dbdimp.h:23: syntax error before "CS_SMALLINT"
> dbdimp.h:23: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
> dbdimp.h:24: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
>
> I found that the problem is that the freetds-devel header files are
> installed to /usr/include/freetds/ instead of just /usr/include/

<sigh>

Why can't RH leave things as they are?

BTW - where are the libraries located? Are they still in /usr/lib?

> The headers seems to have been moved to /usr/include/freetds/ relatively
> recently (another server here with freetds-devel 0.61 has them in
> /usr/include/). DBD-Sybase expects $SYBASE/lib and $SYBASE/include to
> work, which seems reasonable, but if the header location was changed on
> purpose is this something that needs to be updated in DBD-Sybase?

It would have to be changed in DBD::Sybase. Patches welcome - but keep
in mind that the current build system must continue to work as
DBD::Sybase's primary use (with *Sybase* installations and libraries)
uses $SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/include and $SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/lib to find the
appropriate files.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler Data Migrations, Inc.