freetds - Re: [freetds] Function sequence error from Linux => SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Function sequence error from Linux => SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:37:42 -0400

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, "Charles Bearden" <Charles.F.Bearden AT uth.tmc.edu>
wrote:

> http://acad24.sahs.uth.tmc.edu/tdslog/index.html

$ nslookup acad24.sahs.uth.tmc.edu
Server: styx.schemamania.org
Address: 192.168.1.16

*** styx.schemamania.org can't find acad24.sahs.uth.tmc.edu: Non-existent
host/domain

> > Is that record especially large or somehow different from
> > the others?
>
> I think you have hit it. I confess I neglected to test on length, since
> the record in question is only 8200 bytes long--not a big chunk in my
> mind. However, I split out each record from a file of 5000 into a
> separate file, and the 11th record in that file (one of the problem
> records) is larger than the preceeding ones.

Ah. I couldn't read the log file, but I overlooked the fact that we're
talking about ntext data. They're subject to the TEXTSIZE setting. Cf.:

http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#textdata and
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/troubleshooting.htm#TEXTFIELDS

The default size (according to the default freetds.conf) these days is
64,512 bytes. You have a bunch of layers on top of that that might set it
lower. If so, selected ntext data will be truncated. It's not clear if
or how that would affect things, but it's worth looking into.

The other possibility -- and where we'd be stuck (for now) if I'm right --
is that 8000 bytes might be a real limit. I think to support inserting
ntext data longer than that, we'd have to support the ODBC equivalent of
dbwritetext/dbmoretext. I'm not sure we do that.