freetds - RE: [freetds] Error building freetds-0.62.1 on SunOS 5.6 etc.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Error building freetds-0.62.1 on SunOS 5.6 etc.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:00:33 -0500

I'm going to make the message more helpful (not asking much). It means
FreeTDS couldn't figure out what name your libiconv uses for ISO 8859-1 or
UTF-8. You were right to disable it.

> Following a "make clean" and;
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME --enable-msdblib
> --enable-sybase-compat --disable-libiconv
>
> make fails with;
>
> sh: test: argument expected
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `doc/freetds-0.62.1/reference/index.html'
> Current working directory <$HOME>/freetds-0.62.1/doc
> *** Error code 1

Could I see the results of:

$ cd doc
$ make -n
$ make -n | sh -x

Maybe "make clean" doesn't make clean enough? Does starting over in a new
directory help?

I would also be interested to see the section of your doc/Makefile that
builds the target:

> `doc/freetds-0.62.1/reference/index.html'

This, and your "make install" problem, are both portability issues with sh(1)
and make(1). I have exactly zero experience with SunOS, and it's quite
possible we're expecting it to do something it can't.

You of course realize that building/copying/installing the documentation are
incidental. The libraries and utilities are built and installed before the
Makefile turns to the documentation.

> However I can connect to a MS SQL 2000 server with tsql...
> but not to a
> Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 12.5. I've tried with tds
> versions 5.0
> and 6.0 but NOT 4.2 according to the README file.
^^^
There's no "6.0". Only TDS 5.0 is expected to work with ASE 12.5.

> ./bin/tsql -S <$SYBSERVER> -U <$USER> -I $HOME/etc/freetds.conf
> locale is "en_US"
> locale charset is "ISO8859-1"
> Password: <PASSWORD>
> Msg 4002, Level 14, State 1, Server <$SYBSERVER>, Line 0
> Login failed.
>
> Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> Login incorrect.
> There was a problem connecting to the server

Could you post a TDSDUMP log of the failed login? (Take care to remove any
passwords from it, but don't remove so much that we can't tell what
happened.)

The fact that you got message 4002 from the server tells us you found the
server and connected to it. The failure could be caused by not using TDS 5.0
or by not providing a good username+password. I'm pretty sure 0.62.1 was
tested with ASE 12.5, so it's expected to work. I'm not positive it was
tested with a big-endian client, but that's pretty far down my list of
possible causes.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as an intended recipient of this commercial e-mail or advertisement,
would not like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender,
please "reply" to the sender indicating your wishes.
In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10105