freetds - Re: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:22:06 -0500

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
wrote:

> IMO it would be glad if you can:
> 1- change version in configure.in to 0.62rc1 (or 0.62rc2...)
> 2- put patch for Mac OS X (libtool) in distribution
> 3- put a news in http://www.freetds.org/news.html
> 4- put a link in http://www.freetds.org/ and/or
> http://www.freetds.org/software.html

OK, except #2. I didn't include the patch because I think it would be too
unreliable. I'm not sure how consistent libtool will be from Mac to Mac.
That's why I only documented it in the UG. Also, I hope the problem will
just Go Away sometime soon, so I didn't want to add a libtool patch to our
CVS.

BTW, I'm going to remove this obsolete line from configure.in, too:

AC_INIT(src/dblib/dblib.c)

I'll take care of all this later today. Thanks for prompting me, Freddy.

> 5- update http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetds/ (hide 0.60 release
> and add 0.62rc?)

Uploading files to SF is tedious. I think I'll remove/hide the files
there, and point everyone to ibiblio. It's not like ibiblio's servers are
a well-kept secret or anything. ;-)

> Also a link to the full name (ie: freetds-0.62rc2.tar.gz, no
> freetds-0.62rc.tar.gz, no freetds-0.62rc2.tgz) would be fine for who
> wants to build rpm (as you can build your rpm just downloading and
> running rpmbuild -ta freetds-0.62rc2.tar.gz)

I use full names on the ftp server, with symlinks to (I hope) simplify
things. If you want the "latest" rc/release/snapshot, follow the symlink.
If you want the specific one, it's there as .tar.gz.

One way in which this is very helpful to me (and to people who like their
links to be stable) is that the web pages don't have to be updated every
time ftp server is.

Looking at the ftp server yesterday, I had this thought for the symlinks:

freetds-current.tgz => nightly snapshot
freetds-release.tgz => latest release (still 0.61.2)
freetds-release-candidate.tgz => latest rc.

When there's no current release candidate, the symlink might break, point
to the release, or point to (or be) a text file explaining the situation.