freetds - [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:23:20 -0500

I think we're about ready to release 0.62.

The TODO has a few things outstanding. I've listed them and their
statuses below. We made some significant changes to the installation of
the documentation, but otherwise the code has been pretty stable since at
least November.

If you are reading this message, and if you have time to do a little
testing, this is your big moment! If you:

1. have hardware other than an i386 box, or
2. use a compiler other than gcc, or
3. link to a libiconv other than GNU's, or
4. use a locale other than US English, or
5. have some weird environment (you know who you are), or
6. rely on TDS 4.2, or
7. connect to a very old or very new server, then

please, try installing and running the unit tests for the current
snapshot. It is expected to work in all cases, but I doubt it's been
tested for all cases.

Obviously, many eyes make light bugs, and even the conventional
arrangements might expose a problem. Even if you don't have something
exotic, give it a whirl. This is not your father's FreeTDS.

I would also ask that you read the new UG, especially if you know
something about ODBC and/or PHP. We get a lot of questions about those
aspects of FreeTDS on the list, and I'd like this version of the UG to
make those things clearer. Since I don't actually *use* them, though, I'm
less than the ideal person to write about them. So catch me out, and make
the UG better.

If you've reported a bug that hasn't been fixed or listed in TODO, please
remind us. One way or the other, 0.62 is supposed to be the answer.

With your help and a little luck, 10 January 2004 could be our release
date.

--jkl

To Do List $Id: TODO,v 1.90 2003/12/24 01:10:43 jklowden Exp $
------------
Broken:
. Undelimited data files should be read w/ tds_iconv_fread().
* Oh, well.
. bigint trouble with TDS 8.0?
* fixed, no?

For 0.62 version:
. log and call error handler on problems with tds_iconv_init().
* easy, or can wait.
. ct_dynamic and friends needed for DBD::Sybase placeholder support (work
in progress)
* broken, wants expertise.
- multiple statemets question
* Not a show stopper.
- PHP workaround with multiple connections (see ML)
* Not familiar terrain for me, can wait.
. userguide
- iconv strategi
* I think this is well enough documented in the build instructions and
the Nonwestern language section.
- link to reference manual, add to web
* done.
- update table of working configurations
server (vendor, version, platform) - client (freetds version,
platform)
- protocol - charsets - date
* I'd like to generate this table automatically one day. I think
it's OK
as is, because we basically claim to run anything anywhere.