freetds - RE: [freetds] Freetds\sql server lag

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Jackson <CRAIGJ AT EPUB.IACNET.COM>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: CRAIGJ AT EPUB.IACNET.COM
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Freetds\sql server lag
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

I'll give it a try. I can't claim I'm an expert.

>What puzzles me: TCP_NODELAY involves flushing small packets, instead of
>bundling them together. Examples given are mouse data or vi sessions. But
>TDS doesn't involve small bits of data. Even a small query has a header and
>its TDS packet.

>It is possible that a query may not quite fit in a packet. Say, with all
>overhead included, we had a 513-byte query, and we write our 512 byte packet
>(with a "more data" flag). Then we write our last byte, including its
>8-byte TDS header, of course. Will those 9 bytes stay parked in our local
>network buffers for some non-trivial time? Can that really account for your
>statistics?

Nagle's algorithm, per RFC896, doesn't care about how "small" the packet is.
All it cares about is that the first packet hasn't been acknowledged yet. The
only "smallness" involved is the fact that with 512-byte TDS packets, the
query
in question will be sent in multiple writes to the socket. If the TDS packet
size is 4096 bytes, it will all be sent in a single write.

Without disabling Nagle's algorithm, those 9 bytes will stay parked in the
buffer until the first 512 have been acked or a retransmit timer goes off,
whichever comes first.

This could also be avoided by sending all of the TDS packets in a single
socket
write. (I.e. buffering them up.) But that's probably more trouble than it's
worth.

>If I understand correctly, the remnant packet will wait in the client's
>buffer until its predecessor has been acknowledged i.e, until the window is
>wide open. I guess on an Ethernet the delay isn't noticeable, and
>database-style client/server interactions make somewhat atypical use of the
>network. It's hard for me to believe that's normally how things work, that
>there's no way to say, "OK, I'm done. It's his turn to talk now."

>If I've got the above all correct, there are only two partitial solutions:

>1. Ideally (I think), we would be able to set the TCP PUSH flag to indicate
>we're done. That would cause the TCP stack to transmit the not-full packet
>immediately, provided the window is open, without waiting for
>acknowledgement of the prior packet. Many (most?) implementations provide
>no interface to set the PUSH flag, however; according to the RFC, it's
>optional.

The socket API, to my knowledge, does not provide a mechanism for setting the
PUSH flag. It essentially treats all writes as including the PUSH flag, and
then Nagle's algorithm overrides that.

>2. Setting TCP_NODELAY, to force every packet out ASAP after write(2)
>completes. Again, though, not every setsockopt(2) supports this option.

I'm not familiar with a socket implementation that doesn't provide
TCP_NODELAY.
In any case, you should be able to test for it.

>Which makes your patch look pretty good, for those implementations that
>support it.

I think you should go for it. Nagle's algorithm was designed to avoid
excessive packets containing only a single byte of data. 512-byte TDS packets
don't really fit that definition. They're a bit network-abusive by today's
standards, but not really by the standards of 1984 when RFC896 was written.

If you're paranoid, you could mimic the Samba solution. Make it a
freetds.conf
option, and then recommend that everyone set it.

>--jkl

Craig Jackson
Craig.Jackson AT thomson.com
The Gale Group, a unit of Thomson Corp