freetds - RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 23:45:37 -0500

At 5:11 PM -0400 5/1/03, Lowden, James K wrote:

>What are you supposed to do in a pure VMS system, if you can't pass the
>output of nl_langinfo(CODESET) to iconv?

Good question. It is rather discouraging that -- at least as far as I can
find -- none of the standards defining nl_langinfo makes any reference to
iconv or vice versa. The only somewhat official statement I can find about
the relationship between the two comes from the Common Desktop Environment
(CDE) documentation to iconv_open() and says:

"Note that while the nl_langinfo (CODESET) function may be used to obtain the
code set associated with the current locale, it is implementation dependent
whether any conversion names match the return from the nl_langinfo (CODESET)
function."

Which kind of makes you wonder what's the point of having nl_langinfo if it
isn't guaranteed to give you something you can use.

Another piece of the puzzle may be if ASCII is considered stateful; there are
various shifts involved in defining what upper ASCII means. iconv, at least
according to some vendor docs, only does stateless conversions, though that
may be implementation dependent as well. This part I don't understand very
well and may be a red herring.

>I can see writing a trivial tds_get_iconv_ascii_name() that returned the
>appropriate string in the absence of locale_charset().

That sounds reasonable.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."