freetds - Re: [freetds] request to implement dbmorecmds for dblib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bill Stewart <bstewart AT verio.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] request to implement dbmorecmds for dblib
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:28:57 -0400

James,

Lowden, James K wrote:
From: Bill Stewart [mailto:bstewart AT verio.net]
Sent: April 30, 2003 3:51 PM

Let me know what else I might do to get dbmorecmds moving forward.

Bill,
Your test is no good, yaar. You have (abbreviated):

dbsqlexec(dbproc);
while (dbmorecmds(dbproc)) {
more_count++;
dbresults(dbproc);
}

but both vendors say dbmorecmds() "should be called after dbnextrow returns
NO_MORE_ROWS. If you know that the current command does not return any rows,
you can call dbmorecmds after dbresults returns SUCCEED."

I'll work on this. Thanks for the explaination. Hope this didn't suck up too much time. I think we use dbmorecmds here in our scripts in a strange and maybe not all together proper manner. I should have been less focused on that and more on the proper documents.

I wrote our dbmorecmd() conformant to that description. If the above code
runs when linked with either vendor's library, let me know and maybe we can
establish empirically what they're doing. Else you need a loop more like:

if( dbresults(dbproc) == SUCCEED ) {
do {
while( dbnextrow(dbproc) != NO_MORE_ROWS.);
} while( dbmorecmds(dbproc) == SUCCEED )
}

Recommend you grab a more recent snapshot and modify the test. It will be
in tomorrow's snapshot as src/dblib/unittests/dbmorecmds.c.

Will do.

BTW, the query "select count(*) from #dblib0024 order by i" won't run on a
Microsoft server because 'i' isn't in the select list. Apart from that,
it's a bit odd, ordering one row. Were you trying to induce some particular
behavior?

Oops. I missed the removal of this, I copied from one of the other test programs, there should be no order by clause here. Sorry for that.

Using current CVS, 3 other dblib unit test also fail, complaining about
pending results. So there may be protocol or state management issues
lurking, too. I don't know yet.

Ok. Well I obviously need to get the basic test working properly first regardless of this issue.

Thanks again,
Bill

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.