freetds - RE: [freetds] bcp, for browse and flags

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] bcp, for browse and flags
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:00:28 -0400

Yay!

> CREATE TABLE table_name
> (
> id NUMERIC(10,0) IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY, -- I used
> NUMERIC cause is more portable
> b VARCHAR(10) NULL,
> c INT NOT NULL
> )
>
> And do a "SELECT c,b FROM table_name FOR BROWSE" 3 columns
> are returned (TODO: do not show third column to client)
> c: not nullable and writable (nullable not returned from TDS4.2)
> b: nullable and writable (nullable not returned from TDS4.2)
> id: writable, identity, key, hidden (some db do not return
> key for identity)
>
> IMHO BCP should issue FOR BROWSE select and test if a column
> is key and/or identity (these flags are valid in all version
> of TDS). However I don't know how BCP should handle id/key
> fields... set identity_insert on ??? do not insert these
> field assuming db generate it (perhaps we lost foreign key) ??

BCP doesn't care about keys, and many times they're not declared: the old
style "create unique clustered index I on T(A,B)" has the same effect (and
lets A or B be null).

You're right that freebcp will need to discover Identity columns. Another
way to do that would be, "select colid, name from syscolumns where 0 <>
status & 0x80 and object_name(id) = '<tablename>'" will do the job on any
server afaik. Not sure about ASA.

In double checking this information, I came across this description for
syscolumns.status from Sybase:

Bits 0-2 (values 1, 2, and 4) indicate bit positioning if the column uses
the bit datatype. If the column uses the text/image datatype, bits 0 and 1
indicate replication status as follows:
* 01 = always replicate
* 10 = replicate only if changed
* 00 = never replicate
Bit 3 (value 8) indicates whether NULL values are legal in this column.
Bit 4 (value 16) indicates whether more than one check constraint exists for
the column.
Bits 5 and 6 are used internally.
Bit 7 (value 128) indicates an identity column.
Bit 8 is unused.

Poor Bit 8 must be feeling a bit crowded, don't you think?

--jkl

http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1250e/refman/@Generic__Boo
kTextView/135819;pt=129523/*?DwebQuery=syscolumns&DwebSearchAll=1#X

out such orders and/or instructions.