freetds - RE: [freetds] MS SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] MS SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:14:13 +0100

> I have a linux box with Apache+PHP (latest of both) and
> Freetds 0.61. I also
> have a remote SQL 2000 Server that I need to connect to. Here is the
> problem: When I try to connect to a remote SQL 7.0 Server
> with the 7.0 TDS
> protocol, it works just fine. However when I try to use the
> 7.0 protocol to
> connect to SQL 2000, it says that the connection couldn't be
> made. When
> using the 8.0 protocol, I can't connect to SQL 7.0 or 2000.
> I think my
> problem lies with the instance name of the SQL 2000 Server. How do I
> specify the instance to FreeTDS? Also, when I use the tsql
> the following is
> my output:
>
> Msg 10019, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not found!
> There was a problem connecting to the server
>
> Anyone have any idea?

Perhaps your problem is in DNS...
Server is registered in DNS or only or wins?
Login to linux box and ping your machine. If it not resolve name you should
add host to hosts file or use samba to resolve wins names.
Every instance have a different tcp/ip port (tcp/ip MUST be enable in order
to use FreeTDS).
To discover port you can try a connection from a windows machine and then
doing "netstat -an" command (you should see a port in TIME WAIT state to
your server).

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."