freetds - Re: [freetds] Connecting to MS SQL 2000 via Windows Authentication

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: 'Freetds <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Daniel Morgan <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connecting to MS SQL 2000 via Windows Authentication
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:37:29 -0600

Hi Daniel,

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:29:04PM -0500, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Can FreeTDS connect to a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database via Windows
> Authentication from a non-Windows machine?

> If so, how does FreeTDS do it?

> To be honest, I don't know anything about this security stuff. I just would
> like the ability to connect to MS SQL 2000 from a non-Windows machine using
> "Integrated Securtiy". If you know how, can you provide the details please?

Yep. In versions 0.60 and above, FreeTDS can negotiate NTLMSSP auth
with a Windows SQL server. This is done by setting the option 'try
domain login = yes' in your freetds.conf. You can also adjust the 'nt
domain' and 'cross domain login' options to taste.

FreeTDS does not yet do Kerberos-based authentication to SQL 2000
servers, but NTLM passwords should still work fine.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer