freetds - [freetds] RE: unixODBC and isql seg fault

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Matthew Bartholomew <Matt AT Mastrapasqua.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org.'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "'freeodbc AT as220.org'" <freeodbc AT as220.org>, "'dbi-users AT perl.org'" <dbi-users AT perl.org>, "'dbi-dev AT perl.org'" <dbi-dev AT perl.org>, "'unixodbc-dev AT unixodbc.org'" <unixodbc-dev AT unixodbc.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] RE: unixODBC and isql seg fault
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:19:36 -0600

Thanks for the help Nick...

If anyone from the freetds arena can add some guidance...that would be
wonderful.

Here is one last odd quirk that I haven't mentioned....I am able to connect
to the MS SQL 2k server and query without issue via php 4.2.2! The seg
fault occurs when running isql from a bash shell and any perl scripts that
use DBI->connect("DBI:ODBC:DSN",'USERname', 'PASS')

Per Nick Gorham, here are my gdb results:
---
(gdb) r -v SQL
Starting program: /usr/bin/isql -v SQL
[New Thread 8192 (LWP 14857)]

[Switching to Thread 8192 (LWP 14857)]
0x4007b8df in uodbc_get_stats () from /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1
(gdb) quit
---

I have no idea what the above message means, so if anyone can shed some
light...I would appreciate it.

For users on the Freetds list, please see the bottom of this email for the
start of this email thread. The issue is a basic seg fault when using isql
to connect to a MS SQL 2k server. I have freetds0.60, unixODBC 2.2.2-3, and
Sybase 11.9 family of rpms installed on a redhat 7.2 linux. Using perl
5.8.0 with DBI and DBD::ODBC (most up to date versions that cpan will allow
on 12/03/02).

It should be noted that I have another linux box talking with a MS SQL 2K
server using freetds-0.53-1, unixODBC-2.1.1-1, perl-5.6.1-26.72.3. That
configuration works flawlessly...so others may want to wait a bit longer
until they upgrade to those packages.

Thanks,
Matt

> Hello again,
>
> I was able to connect to mysql via isql (I'm having a difficult time
> with postgresql). Do you think that puts unixODBC in the clear and I
> should look around at other packages as the perpetrators of this seg
> fault? Or does postgresql hold a significance that I'm not getting?

No, its going to be a freetds thing I suspect. I would try running isql
under gdb

gdb isql
r -v dsnname

and see where it fails

I would try asking on the freetds lists.

BTW. I have snipped the reply to list.

Nick

I was able to connect to mysql via isql (I'm having a difficult time with
postgresql). Do you think that puts unixODBC in the clear and I should look
around at other packages as the perpetrators of this seg fault? Or does
postgresql hold a significance that I'm not getting?

Since then, I've re-installed freetds 0.60 and the Sybase 11.9.2-1 family of
rpms, but same results:

[root@ns3 sybase]# isql SQL -v wibble
Segmentation fault

Cheers,