freetds - RE: unixodbc library pickup

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Merijn Broeren <merijnb AT iloquent.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: unixodbc library pickup
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:15:10 +0200

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon AT netexpress.net):

> <cough> LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't scale because, with a well-integrated
> system and proper library versioning, it doesn't need to.

See, we are vehemently agreeing. My system is even more well integrated
then you probably imagine, with a global network filesystem for all
architectures.

> And libtool's rpath fetish is a royal pain for those of us who do work on
> such systems, because it tends to get a little confused between
> installing at package build time, and installing on a user's system.

Imagine my pain, I have to install things first on a RW system, then
install it on a *different* path in the global RO filesystem. All the
time keeping the link paths correct.

Cheers,
--
Merijn Broeren | 'I want to understand everything. I want to know every-
Software Geek | thing and put it all together to see what it means.'