freetds - RE: md4 implementation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: md4 implementation
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:56:45 -0500

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 04:18:43PM -0400, Castellano, Nicholas wrote:
> I have seen hints on Sybase's web site that OpenClient 12.5 supports SSL
> connections to the dataserver. Maybe we should think about the potential
> consequences of removing OpenSSL support, before doing anything hasty.

> If the only issue here is that the same binary distribution can't contain
> both OpenSSL and readline, perhaps all we really need to do is:

> - Distribute tsql.c as it is, with an LGPL copyright
> - Add a notice to tsql.c and top-level README type files, stating that if
> you link tsql with readline, it will then fall under GPL because of the
> distribution terms of GNU readline
> - Add autoconf checks that disallow linking with OpenSSL and GNU readline at
> the same time.

> Does that resolve all the license conflicts, or did I forget something?

- You aren't violating any license if you create a binary for local use
that links against both OpenSSL and readline, so autoconf is the wrong
place for such a check
- sqsh, which is generally a much more useful tool than tsql, also links
against readline, so it wouldn't benefit from any licensing checks in
the FreeTDS source
- You can punt on the question of binary redistributability if you want
to, but I'm representing Debian's interests here -- distributing
binaries is our thing. :) One way or the other, I need to either
implement md4 and des_ecb under the LGPL, or I need to cripple one or
more pieces of software in our archive to comply with the standing
licenses.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer