freetds - Re: tsql infected with GPL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsql infected with GPL
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:06:12 -0500

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:29:52PM -0400, Brian Bruns wrote:
> This has been a problem for a while. I believe we punted last time. We
> could replace readline with libedit, but then we still haven't solved the
> problem for sqsh, making sqsh rpms against freetds illegal.
> And besides my distro doesn't come with libedit anyway.

> We don't even use all that much of OpenSSL, so if gnutls supports what we
> need, it's probably the better way to go. That is unless someone with the
> requisite knowledge wants to whip up an implementation specifically for
> freetds. ;-) It's a shame we have to choose between the gnu and bsd camps.
> Can't we all just get along?

Well, a little digging shows that libmcrypt supports DES in ECB mode,
which gets us half of what we need for NT. Not sure where to find GPL-
and BSD-friendly MD4 routines.

If it comes down to having to depend on something like editline, it
should be easy enough to ensure that the code builds with one of two
library implementations, so that distributors can use whatever meets the
license requirements and end users can use whatever is most readily
available to them.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer