freetds - Problem installing DBD::Sybase into non-standard directory

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Richard Wolfe" <rwolfe AT resourceprint.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Don Davis" <ddavis AT resourceprint.com>
  • Subject: Problem installing DBD::Sybase into non-standard directory
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:26:35 -0500

Hello all-

I realize that this isn't really a FreeTDS question, but I figured that
someone here might have experienced the same problem I'm encountering.

I have a web-hosting account with a provider who does not allow me root
access, so I have to install stuff in non-standard locations. I installed
FreeTDS no problem, I can connect to my remote MS SQL Server using the tsql
utility with no problem whatsoever. But I need to get Perl to talk to
FreeTDS, and Makefile.PL barfs when I pass it LIB and PREFIX parameters:

perl Makefile.PL LIB=/usr/home/myhome/usr/local/lib/site_perl
PREFIX=/usr/home/myhome/usr/local/lib/site_perl
Sybase OpenClient found.
The DBD::Sybase module need access to a Sybase server to run the tests.
To clear an entry please enter 'undef'
Sybase server to use (default: undef): Can't open
LIB=/usr/home/myhome/usr/local/lib/site_perl: No such file or directory at
Makefile.PL line 227.
Can't open PREFIX=/usr/home/myhome/usr/local/lib/site_perl: No such file or
directory at Makefile.PL line 227.

If I ignore this and continue on with the installation, make install fails
because I don't have permissions to write to the standard Perl library
directories.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there some kind of problem
with Makefile.PL???

For grins, I installed FreeTDS and DBD::Sybase on my personal Linux box
(where I do have root access) and it works like a champ. The demo Perl
script runs and everything.

Any help on this issue would be *greatly* appreciated...

Thanks,
Richard

  • Problem installing DBD::Sybase into non-standard directory, Richard Wolfe, 09/27/2002