freetds - RE: conversion status

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: conversion status
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:50:22 +0200

> Cool. I'm sorry my 32-bit-only test platform caused the
> problem. I agree
> it's an awkward fix, but at least it works for now.

Wow so in your machine sizeof(TDS_INT8) == 4 ??

> > > smallmoney odd 201203.04 -> real yields 201203.046875

calc...

201203,04 =
1-100010001111100110000101000111101
12345678901234567890123 = 23 digit of precision

so can be from
110001000111110011000010 = 201203,03125
110001000111110011000011 = 201203,046875
(best this last)

log (2^24) = 7.224...
So only 7 digits should be right (sometime 8).

> money->real adds precision, granted. But we shouldn't be
> tacking on the
> extra 0.006875. That's an error; we should be within 10^-8
> or so. May the
> problem is actually in the test program/platform, but it bears
> investigation.
>

> > > timestamp broken char/varchar only.
> >
> > willconvert should return false for many types...
>
> Is it returning True for any types that Sybase returns False for?
> dbwillconvert() expresses our goal, not our status. It
> seemed to me like
> too much trouble to keep it synchronized with our status.

timestamp is a strange type... is like a binary and cannot be converted to
ints/floats/moneys/bits...
Is not related to time but is just an unique id for db...

> > How should we convert to binary/image?
> > Should we just do a memcpy or we should swap some bytes before ??
>
> I don't know. I don't use blobs of any kind, and I've never thought about
> converting them to anything.

?? blobs ??
I was thinking conversion from int -> binary. Should be just a memcpy or
should we swap bytes (like bigendian->littleendian) ?

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."