freetds - Re: toward binary compatibility

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: toward binary compatibility
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 16:10:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:
> While I'm on the subject, I've been asked to ask: has anyone tried to use
> FreeTDS as a binary replacement for Sybase's libraries? The poor soul in
> question is interested in using APT Forms (remember that one?), and he's
> wondering what the likelihood of success is if he just points his linker
> at our stuff instead of theirs.

APT! Still go one of those running in our company ;-)

In essence the only thing that needs doing for sybase binary compat is A)
make sure all functions are functions and macros are macros as mentioned
and B) all #define numbers such as SYBINTN et al. need to match.

B is the problem as we have only used number from the sybase headers where
they could be fathomed from third party source code. I'm a little learly
of looking at the sybase headers and importing that into freetds en masse.

A can be done by running 'nm' on libsybdb.a or libc[st].a and making sure
we match.

Brian