freetds - RE: [ freetds-Patches-575063 ] make easy

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [ freetds-Patches-575063 ] make easy
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:16:10 -0400

Oh, man! You and your reality checks! OK, suppose the UG said something
like this:

<snip>
FreeTDS needs a reasonably capable modern "make", something that will
compile and link your code, not moan and complain about it. Like FreeTDS
itself, such make's are freely available; examples include GNU make from
<url> and BSD make from <other url>.

If the vendor of your expensive proprietary trailing-edge OS ships a "make"
that others or even you have called "broken", "grotesque", or "brain-dead",
please avail yourself of something that works, or send us a patch that lets
it build with your system, too.
</snip>

Seriously, BSD make is very capable, and I have very little experience with
others. There's no reason (that I can see) to require Gnu specifically, but
I take your word for it that there are some really bad ones out there. I'm
glad you pointed that out.

I'm actually a NetBSD vampire; by day I make my way through the strange
world of Microsoft. Theirs is called "nmake", and I can't think of a single
nice thing to say about it except that at least they didn't call it "make".

Regards,