freetds - Re: PHP User Authentication against NT?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PHP User Authentication against NT?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:22:42 -0500

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:50:04PM -0700, Bradley Bell wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:23:40PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> > G'day,

> > I've been using FreeTDS for a couple of years now to provide read access
> > to an SQL database, and the project has been reasonably successful, to
> > the point that the business would like to depend on it.

> > However, we would like to have users on web browsers be authenticated
> > against an SMB primary domain controller thing. While I know how to add
> > authentication to a PHP script, how do I validate the username and
> > password against a Windows NT authentication domain?

> I haven't actually implemented this yet, but I tested out mod_auth_kerb
> against our win2k domain controllers, and it appears to work pretty well.

But that will only work if you're running a Win2K domain. For NT4
domains, there is another module, mod_auth_smb, that will do NT
authentication. If you need to do your authentication /within/ the PHP
script (as opposed to letting Apache handle it), your best option
currently may be php_pam + pam_winbind, though I can personally vouch
for the terrible state of php_pam's code and would recommend
mod_auth_smb if it's an option.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer