freetds - More information on using FreeTDS (--with-sybase-ct) & PHP & MSSQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe AT secureworks.net>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: More information on using FreeTDS (--with-sybase-ct) & PHP & MSSQL Server 2000
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:05:16 -0400

I've found that for an unknown reason, after a certain amount of usage, apache
processes start failing to connect, and the following error messages are
written to the error_log:

socket: Too many open files in system
TDS: Write failed in tds_write_packet
Error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)

(usually only the first line).

I increased the uptime expectation by using sybase_pconnect as opposed to
sybase_connect, however I did run into one gotcha with this!

I was using a query phrased as following:
'set rowcount 1'."\n".'select...'
And the rowcount setting got "stuck" and affected other pages queries.

I solved this by appending ."\n".'set rowcount 32768' to the end of each such
query.

--
Casey Allen Shobe / Network Security Analyst & PHP Developer
SecureWorks, Inc. / 404.327.6339 x169 / Fax: 404.728.0144