freetds - RE: Install freetds on a RaQ4 to work with MS SQL and PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "cat" <cat AT netcustomer.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Install freetds on a RaQ4 to work with MS SQL and PHP
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:18:45 -0700

We have a RaQ4 that we use for a web server. I use the installed PHP (4.0.6)
extensively on it, but not with FreeTDS. The RaQ4 uses Linux, but it is a
non-standard installation. This is basically supposed to be a closed box
"appliance" that you administer with a web front end. You can install
anything you like, I suppose, but if you reinstall PHP (for example you
recompile) then I wonder if the web administration will break. At the very
least I would suspect that you would henceforth have to admin your PHP via
the usual methods of editing config files. Same would hold for the Apache
install when it came to notifying it of the new location of recompiled PHP.
Not to say you can't do it, but frankly I just went to another box when I
needed a "better" server.

BTW, I used the newest PHP (4.2.x) on the new Linux boxen to mesh with TDS
.53 and it does not work at all like the older versions of PHP did. All
manner of files appear missing in the newer PHP install. But it appeared to
work with FreeTDS right out of the tarball! Took me a day of fiddling around
and looking for "missing" files that I expected to be there to realize that
there was nothing remaining but connect. Really strange, in a nice kinda
way.