freetds - Re: Transaction problems...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Michael Horowitz" <michael.horowitz AT storagenetworks.com>
  • Subject: Re: Transaction problems...
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:59:01 -0600

At 12:21 PM -0500 1/3/2002, Michael Horowitz wrote:
Well, you have to read more carefully. Oracle won't commit if a
connection dies or is killed or terminates abnormally. It is only if the
client explicitly disconnects. I am not exactly sure if that only entails
calling "close" on the underlying socket, or if there is a formal logout
protocol, but either way, if disconnect() is explicitly called from DBI or
a similar thing from any other DB library, it says it will commit the
transaction.

This is how it works with SQL*Plus and SQL Worksheet. If you exit those applications with an open transaction, it is commited for you. I'm assuming it is done when the logoff function is called (I can't remember the name, but there is a function in the OCI API that disconnect would be calling).

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin