freetds - Re: Transaction problems...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Michael Horowitz" <michael.horowitz AT storagenetworks.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Transaction problems...
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:21:10 -0500

Well, you have to read more carefully. Oracle won't commit if a
connection dies or is killed or terminates abnormally. It is only if the
client explicitly disconnects. I am not exactly sure if that only entails
calling "close" on the underlying socket, or if there is a formal logout
protocol, but either way, if disconnect() is explicitly called from DBI or
a similar thing from any other DB library, it says it will commit the
transaction.

Personally, I don't like the idea of that either. It seems to me that a
explicit commit should always be required, but that is the way Oracle
chose to do it I guess.

--Mike