freetds - Re: bcp api in db-lib progress.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: bcp api in db-lib progress.
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:47:20 -0500

Hi Brian,

I'm using 4.2 , but I'm sceptical whether SQL server 2000 is taking any
notice of the TDS version as far as the bcp side of things is concerned.
Nice to have it confirmed that TDS 7.0 has never worked. At least I know
where I stand.

I'm trying to get my networks guys to put a sniffer on when I do a proper
SQL server bcp. Perhaps this will give me some more clues. I also think I
stand a sporting change of getting MS to give me the TDS spec. Well I can
hope anyway...

The good news is I'm making progress on filling the gaps in the original.
One problem I have is with null columns ( which in Sybase are treated as
variable length as you know ). Your "is_nullable_type" function , used to
decide whether a column will go in the "left" or "right" of the packet,
just works on column type - so char always goes on the "left", regardless
of whether or not the column is null. Hmmm. in the 4.2 code there doesn't
appear to be anything captured from the column info to say whether the
column is nullable or not. Any ideas ?

I should have the bcp_exec function handling all formats of files pretty
soon. I've cracked the column order problem and I've put in more code to
make the api behave exactly as per the manual pages. So I'm getting there.

Thanks for the help thus far....

Bill