freetds - ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.93

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: sybperl-l AT list.cren.net, sybperl-announce AT peppler.org, dbi-users AT perl.org, dbi-announce AT perl.org, freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.93
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:43:10 -0700

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.93

The uploaded file

DBD-Sybase-0.93.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

file: $CPAN/authors/id/M/ME/MEWP/DBD-Sybase-0.93.tar.gz
size: 94878 bytes
md5: 397a86475a7cb8f45a47ec29c991cbde

I'm happy to announce that DBD::Sybase 0.93 has finally been
released. This is a release that has a few interesting new features,
and some bug fixes.

First the new features:

1. Use ?-style placeholders and bind variables for the input
parameters to stored procedures.

This lets you write things like:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("exec my_proc ?, ?");
$sth->execute('foo', 'bar');

Internally this uses the ct_param() API calls to execute an RPC
call to the server (instead of a language call) which removes all
SQL compiling from the request. From my benchmarks this is the
absolute fastest way to execute a SQL statement.

2. Access to the ct_get/set_data() API for TEXT/IMAGE datatype fetch
and store requests.

This is provided via $sth->func() calls. The API is unfortunately
rather convoluted, but that's mostly a consequence of the Sybase
API and the fact that TEXT/IMAGE data is stored separately from the
main data for the row, requiring the API to fetch a "text pointer"
in order to be able to store or fetch the TEXT/IMAGE data directly.

3. The folks at Morgan Stanley have implemented a one-step routine
called nsql() for Sybase::DBlib.

I've reproduced this routine here - also available via
$dbh->func(). This routine can do automatic deadlock retries if you
ask it nicely.

There are also some other changes, such as the ability to ask
connect() to encrypt the password, and support for the new
primary_key_info() request.

The configuration routines in Makefile.PL have been modified slightly
to check for the OpenClient version, and to *not* link with -linsck or
-ltli in the case of OC 11.x or later (avoids conflicts with settings
in $SYBASE/config/libtcl.cfg for multi-threaded configurations).

This version will unfortunately not build with FreeTDS 0.52 due to
some missing symbols in the FreeTDS libraries (symbols used in the
ct_get_data/ct_send_data() requests).

I expect this to be the last "beta" release - if there are no
particular problems with this release then I will release 1.00 "soon".

As usual please report any problems to me, either via email, or by
checking the bug tracking system at
http://www.peppler.org/cgi-bin/bug.cgi

Michael

PS. For those keeping track of such things... there's no 0.92 release
of DBD::Sybase - that version was never publically released.
mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net

  • ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.93, Michael Peppler, 08/03/2001