freetds - Re: Draft 0.52 announcement

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Draft 0.52 announcement
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:47:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Brian Bruns wrote:

> Steve, how much time do you need to make the deb's? I could tag CVS and
> then give it a few days or so if that is sufficient...I'll be trying to
> fudge my way through making RPMs anyway. :-)

It should only take a couple of days to roll, test, and release the debs for
the new version; I can get started now, using the prereleases, so I have all
the packaging worked out before release. It's probably also a good idea for
me to get a head start because I'm hoping to have a migration scheme in place
to automatically convert interfaces files to freetds.conf files, and because
I'm getting married at the end of next week which won't leave me with much
time to work on packages for a little while.

Does the freetds prerelease include any scripts for handling the interfaces ->
freetds.conf conversion at this point? Providing a clean upgrade path is not
the most important thing in the world, since there's no released version of
Debian that includes freetds yet, but it'd be nice to have if possible.

Also, IMHO it's not critically important that .deb packages be available
immediately after the release. Debian in general tends to reflect the
attitude of "take the time you need to get it right" -- so people running
Debian aren't especially put out when the .debs trail behind the upstream
tarball by a week or two. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer