freetds - Re: datetime problems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: datetime problems
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:09:44 -0500

This is a question I have struggled with. As long as all the 7.0 series
had the bug we could work around it by the server version response in the
acknowledgement stream. But MS doesn't delineate between 7.0 GA or SP1-3

I'm manually doing a search in my application based on a call to "master.dbo.xp_msver ProductVersion". I imagine this only works for SQL Server, but it returns in the fourth column a version number "7.00.623" for 7.0 GA and "7.00.961" for SP3. (The other values were listed in the readme for SP3.)

This number is also in the results of "select @@version", but not as easily parsable.

I'm sending the query and only if the query returns a string "7.00.xxx" where xxx is < 961 am I noting that 8 byte datetime values need to be swapped.

It detects fine on .623, and my PC is installing SP3 right now so I can test against .961.

"The best assumption to have
Mark J. Lilback is that any commonly held
<mark AT lilback.com> belief is wrong." -- Ken Olsen,
http://www.lilback.com/ founder, Digital Equip. Corp.