freetds - Re: Display Image Fields From MSSQL.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Display Image Fields From MSSQL.
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 10:42:51 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Brian Bruns wrote:

> PHP is attempting to convert an image type to a string. Does anyone
> know if this feature works in PHP? I'm not really sure what the behavior
> of converting image -> char should be. My guess is that it would be a hex
> representation like binary/varbinary does.

PHP has 8-bit-clean handling of strings; it just needs to have a way of
knowing how long the string is when you create it. I imagine the most useful
format in which to make the image available to PHP would be as raw 8-bit data
(stored in a string). If someone wanted it as a hex representation after
that, they could convert it on their own, and if someone wanted to work with
the raw image data (e.g., writing it to a file), they could do so without a
double-conversion.

Does the TDS 'image' type imply any particular image format, btw?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer