freetds - MSSQL 2000 and TEXT fields

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Neil Kandalgaonkar <neilk AT ActiveState.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: MSSQL 2000 and TEXT fields
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:51:16 -0800

Hi, I'm a new FreeTDS user. My goal is to get RH 6.x Linux machines
talking to a MSSQL 2000 database. For this particular database, it's
crucial to use large TEXT fields (I need to store texts > 8K).

Unfortunately I find that I cannot select TEXT fields with FreeTDS.
I get lots of "Unknown marker!!" errors. I checked out the source
and it looks like this happens when FreeTDS can't parse the stream.
Everything else seems to be working fine though.

So, my guess is that MSSQL 2000 might be somehow different? Everyone
else on this list seems to be using MSSQL 7.0.

I compiled freetds with
--with-tdsver=7.0
--enable-msdblib
--with-gnu-ld

If it matters, I'm also using SQLRelay, mostly because they had a
Zope DA already written, but I've been thinking there must be a
simpler way to use the client libs. Apparently one can also use
Sybase's free client libs, but I couldn't get that working.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar
Web App Developer, ActiveState

  • MSSQL 2000 and TEXT fields, Neil Kandalgaonkar, 01/23/2001