freetds - RE: newbie question. make check and all failed

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: newbie question. make check and all failed
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:32:41 +0000

Leon & Young,

I don't know precisely how FreeTDS reads the interfaces file, but I can help
with
what it's supposed to look like.

Short answers:
* You probably don't need a "master" line; it's used by the server.
* The third field should be "tcp" but I doubt FreeTDS cares.
* The second field should be the hostname of the machine the server is on,
and
should match the SRV entry in the PWD file. (Young, is your server called
"ODBC" or
"taz" or something else?)

The Long Answer can be found at:

http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-cn/cng1110e/u_config/@ebt-link;pt=4114?target=%25N%14_5178_START_RESTART_N%25

by looking for "interfaces format" (unquoted) on the main Sybase page. I've
shortened it for the sake of the list.

Hope this helps.

--jkl

=======- start Sybase manual text -=======
SERVERNAME<newline>
<tab>{master|query} protocol network host port<newline>
<blank line>
where:

* SERVERNAME is an alias by which Open Client and Open Server
recognize which interfaces entry to read. SERVERNAME must begin
with a letter (ASCII a-z, A-Z), contain letters, numbers, and
underscores only, and have a maximum of 11 characters.
* "master|query" specifies the type of connection:
"master" specifies a master line, which is used by server
applications to listen for client queries.
"query" specifies a query line, which is used by client
applications to find servers.

The master line and the query line of an interfaces entry contain
identical information. dscp creates both types of lines for each entry.
The resulting entry can be used by both clients and servers.

protocol is the name of the network protocol. The valid values are:
"tcp" for TCP/IP - All UNIX platforms
"spx" for IPX/SPX - UnixWare
"decnet" for DECnet - Digital UNIX

network is a descriptor of the network.

Open Client and Open Server do not currently use network; it is a
placeholder should Sybase need to define this information in the
future.

host is the network name of the node, or machine, that the server is
running on. The maximum number of characters for host depends on
the protocol specified in the entry:
For TCP/IP the maximum is 32.

Use the /bin/hostname command to determine the network name of
the machine you are logged into.

port is the port used by the server to receive queries. The TCP/IP and
DECnet protocols specify this element differently:
TCP/IP: Valid port numbers range from 1025 to 65535.
However, the numbers 1025 to 7009, 9535 and 17007 are
registered port numbers and may already be in use on your
system.
=======- end Sybase manual text -=======