freetds - Re: Steps/Requirements for Interfacing Perl on Solaris to MS SQL Server 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jason Cox <jhcox AT lanl.gov>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Steps/Requirements for Interfacing Perl on Solaris to MS SQL Server 7.0
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:03:36 -0600

Hello. I am also brand spankin new to this list, but I will offer my experience and if I am doing something bad, I can learn as well. The below is for linux, but should be similar to what you need.

How to connect to MSSQL From Linux(RedHat)/Apache/Perl:

1. install freetds
"./configure --with-tdsver=4.2" (4.2 id for MSSQL)
"make"
"make test" (will fail everything, but it appears to work anyway :)
"make install"

2. set sybase environment variable "$SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds"

3. add "/usr/local/freetds/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf

4. edit /usr/local/freetds/interfaces to look like this:

MSTSQL
query tcp ether mstsql.mst.lanl.gov 1433
master tcp ether mstsql.mst.lanl.gov 1433

5. install DBI-1.13
"perl Makefile.PL"
"make"
"make test"
"make install"

6. install DBD-Sybase-0.21
"perl Makefile.PL"
"make"
"make test"
"make install"

hope this helps!
jsn

I am looking for a howto on Interfacing Perl on Solaris to MS SQL Server
7.0.

What software packages are needed, where can I get them, what order are
they to be installed in, and how do I need to configure them.

I know I am asking for a lot here, but I am just starting out trying to
learn how to do this and any help would be most appreciated. Is there
anything out there even remotely close to this?

If not, would someone please take this poor soul under their wing and walk
me through the process.

thanks so much!

bill,

Versions:
Perl - 5.005_03
Solaris - 2.6
MS SQL Server - 7.0

---
You are currently subscribed to freetds as: jhcox AT lanl.gov