freetds - Re: connection problems with the jdbc driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: connection problems with the jdbc driver
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 18:31:49 -0700 (MST)

There are a couple of possible problems here. First, is your
SQLServer setup to handle TCP/IP connections? I'm not sure the
defualt configuration for SQLServer handles TCP.

Second, is the server listening on the port you think it is. Normally
it listens on port 1433. If the administrator changed the port, you
will have to change the connect string accordingly.

To test both of those, try to telnet to the server on port 1433. If
the telnet fails to connect then you don't have the server setup
properly or it is listening on.

If you have SP6 installed that could cause a third possible problem.
Microsoft (surprise) broke TCP big time. You'll have to install one
of the hot fixes (don't know which one) to solve that problem. I
think MS released a SP6a service pack that fixes the TCP problem also.

Reddy R writes:
> I have similar problem with Microsoft SQL server 6.5 and the latest
> FreeTDS
> Jdbc driver. I am using JDK 1.2.2. I get the following message when I use
> FreeTDS Jdbc driver. I got the latest code and compiled it. The problem
> exists with precompiled version also.
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Network error- Connection refused: no further
> information
>
> at
> com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Constructors.newConnection(Constructors.java:300)
>
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Driver.connect(Driver.java:257)
>
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:457)
>
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:137)
>

> // Driver and URL for FreeTDS Jdbc driver
> Class.forName("com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Driver");
> conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, "username", "password"); // url =
> "jdbc:freetds:sqlserver://servername/dbname",
>
> The same code works fine under SUN's JDBC-ODBC bridge driver when used as
> follow.
>
> // Driver and URL with SUN's JDBC-ODBC bridge driver
> Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
> conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, "username", "password"); // url =
> "jdbc:odbc:dbname",
>
> I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated
>
> Thanks
> -Reddy R
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: cts AT internetcds.com

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.