freetds - Re: patch for SIGPIPE in tds_write_packet

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Geoff Winkless" <geoff AT farmline.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: patch for SIGPIPE in tds_write_packet
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:07:11 -0000

"Mark Schaal" <mark AT champ.tstonramp.com> writes:
> That type of information is usually available in the man pages.
>
> "If a read() is interrupted by a signal before it reads any
> data, it will return -1 with errno set to EINTR.
>
> If a read() is interrupted by a signal after it has success-
> fully read some data, it will return the number of bytes
> read."

I'm aware of what the manual pages say.

The question was not whether or not a signal would cause read() to fail,
rather whether disconnecting the client from the server at the server end
would cause a SIGPIPE (as it does in write()) or if it merely causes read()
to fail with an error returned.

I suppose I could write some test code, I was just wondering if anyone knew
the answer already.

But thanks for being patronising, it really makes my job a hell of a lot
more fun.

Geoff