freetds - [PHP4BETA] php4b3 and freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: richard AT iguana.co.nz
  • To: php4beta AT lists.php.net
  • Subject: [PHP4BETA] php4b3 and freetds
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:17:25 +1300 (NZDT)

Morning people. (well it is here, and a pretty one too).

Opinions on freetds support under php4? the latest cvs will build with it,
but for those who have tried it segfaults under certain circumstances.

I have tracked down the problem and "hacked" a fix in, and I *mean* hack,
it sucks, but before I look at a real solution, I wanna know whether
people are interested in supporting it. As far as I am aware, freetds is
the only sybase-ct compatible library that will run on the latest debian
and still talk to MS-SQL, so it might be a good move (I certainly hope
so..:)

Essentially, after you get past the fact that freetds does an
fprintf(stderr) where it shouldn't, the problem is that php4 calls
ct_con_props(CS_GET,CS_CON_STATUS,..), and freetds doesn't support the
status call (hence it tries to tell the user with an fprintf(stderr..)
which segfaults the program).

As far as I can see, its a missing feature in freetds, which should really
be recitified, I can look at doing that, but is there a decent number of
people who are likely to be in this situation?

---

The response from the PHP4 developers is that they definitely want freetds
in there. Any chance of an implementation of GET CS_CON_STATUS ? I'd love
it :)

If someone just wants to gimme a quick rundown of how exactly I determine
whether the socket is connected/dead (ie: do I just stat, or is there more
to it?) I can add the actual code in no problems, I just wasn't sure
whether a connection being CS_CONSTAT_DEAD was TCP level dead or database
level dead.

Richard.

  • [PHP4BETA] php4b3 and freetds, richard, 11/25/1999