freetds - Need assitance compiling FreeTDS JDBC Driver 0.47L

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Iain MacNeill" <imacneill AT netcentric.com>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Need assitance compiling FreeTDS JDBC Driver 0.47L
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:36:59

Hello, just downloaded FreeTDS, as well as the JIKES compiler from IBM. The
compiler appears to be pretty straight forward, although I am having some
difficulty getting the FreeTDS source files to compile fully.

Here is my situation, I need to obtain JDBC Level 4 access to a MS-SQL
Server 6.5 database. What I want to be able to do is to build a java applet
that can submit and retrieve limited sets of data to this server.

I have a WindowsNT web server, running the SQL Server and am developing the
application on a Windows98 system. I have downloaded and unpacked the
entire FreeTDS package into my 'c:\temp\freetds_jdbc' directory.

There is only one subdirectory off of this called 'unittests'. All of the
.java files in this directory have compiled ok except for 't0006.java'.
This file reports errors when attempting to understand the line:

import com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds;

It cannot find this library. I have set my CLASSPATH variable to point to
the JDK class library .zip file from JavaSoft. Is there an additional file
I need to download to obtain these libraries? Or is there a problem with
the way I am compiling? Should I be creating these class files directly
from the compilation?

Also am having trouble understanding how the 'Makefile' comes into play, I
have tried executing JIKES with; 'jikes +M=Makefile *.java' and this seems
to get things moving, but I get about 200 errors stating pretty much
similiar things about not being able to find either the package or the
import files specified.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!!

  • Need assitance compiling FreeTDS JDBC Driver 0.47L, Iain MacNeill, 11/03/1999