freetds - Re: Connecting to Sybase on NT

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Connecting to Sybase on NT
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:15:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Jeff Driscoll wrote:

> I am trying to use SQSH 1.7 and Freetds 0.47 to connect to a NT server
> running Sybase. I believe it is Sybase 10 because the client libraries
> installed by the vendors software on a PC is client libraries version
> 10.0.4.
>
> I have tried configuring tds versin 4.2, 4.6 and 5.0 without success. I
> believe I am using a valid username and password. I can successfully
> access a MSSQL7 server so I know I have both freetds and sqsh working
> properly.
>
> $ sqsh -S symposium-server
> sqsh-1.7 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Scott C. Gray
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> For more information type '\warranty'
> connect: Connection refused
^ Here is the key...This means
a) you can't talk to the box. Try ping to make sure all the routes are ok
b) your interfaces file is screwed up or its not finding it. Make sure
$SYBASE is set properly and the interfaces look ok.
c) The port is wrong. Try to 'telnet hostname port#' adn see if
you still get the 'connection refused' message, if so Sybase is not
listening on that port.
d) Sybase is configured to listen on localhost and not the ethernet card,
try the step from c to verify this too.

There are probably some other possibilies as well, but these are the
likely ones.

> $ cat /tmp/freetds.log
> 2000-04-19 01:33:41 leaving ct_connect() returning 0
> 2000-04-19 01:33:41 inside ct_con_props() action = CS_GET property = 26
> 2000-04-19 01:33:41 inside ct_con_drop()
>
> Any ideas?

Cheers,

Brian